Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Days 8 & 9 - Port Austin



We left Harbor Beach early Monday morning and headed north. After a couple of hours the waves started to get a little rolly, so we opted not to cross Saginaw Bay. We pulled in at Port Austin and had a late breakfast aboard. Spent a lazy day watching the clouds hang heavily in the sky. A 52 foot trawler pulled in. The captain told us he'd done the Great Loop twice! We let him know we are in week 2 of our Great Loop adventure.

Wednesday greeted us with more heavy clouds. We are beginning to think sunshine is a myth! I was wandering around town from store to store seeking quarters for the washer and dryer and met a man from Georgia. He can't understand how Michiganders can enjoy water sports in this cold. He said, "In Georgia you wake up and it's already hot!" I let him know that this is not typical July weather here!

Riley and I started a walk along the breakwater, but when a wave crashed over the wall and wetted me up to my forehead, I told Riley we had to walk on land.

Later I'm going to town to buy warm clothes. Maybe a parka!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated! Sounds like an adventure already!! Swim lessons each morning are a bit brisk too!! Henry says: "Woof, woof."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah blame it on cute and innocent Riley. Glad to hear you're enjoying your trip so far. Hopefully the weather warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww did we get a little wet on our boating trip? We are enjoying your adventure. Sarah wants to know when you will be here. haha

    ReplyDelete