Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 161 - Panama City, FL

Wearing our parkas, we untied the many lines that had held us safe in the storms at Destin Harbor. The water was low, so we inched our way, staying in the center of the channel as we rounded the peninsula of fine, snowy white quartz sand and made our way under the Destin East Pass Bridge to the ICW. Ah, not even a scrape on the bottom edge of the keel. It pays to be careful; we passed several boats aground on the sand.

I was grumbling inside about my stiff, cold hands as I coiled the lines when I looked up and my disposition instantly improved at the sight of a dozen dolphins cavorting around us. They must have been on their morning commute to their daily job of escorting vessels in Choctawhatchee Bay. As many as six at a time joined us that morning, tucking under our bow and urging us to follow as they enjoyed the push of Osprey's waves. Every so often fins would cut the surface of the water and the fish would arch over in a graceful jump. When I leaned way over to get a better look, I got a face full of spray from their blowholes. Every once in a while, one or two would slide alongside, and swim with us as though Osprey was their swimming buddy.

Approaching Panama City after about 6 1/2 hours, we were surprised to look up and see Laura Lee entering St. Andrew Bay at the same time. While we'd taken the ICW, she again had to avoid low bridges and cruise the Gulf. Different routes, she motor-sailed, we motored. Yet, we arrived together.

I spent the evening enjoyin
g the opportunity to rid our clothes and linens of the odor and grime that had maliciously accumulated when no washing machine was available.

After a brilliant sunset that back lit the palm trees in a golden silhouette, we retired early to be ready for our jaunt to Port St. Joe the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment